A selection of some of the brilliant images that have been entered into our Photography Competition, this time with an emphasis on ancient churches, abbeys and graves. Don’t forget there are also posts showing photos of Irish Castles and Forts and Prehistoric Irish sites. All of the images used in this blog post are copyright of the respective photographers, please respect this.
St. Kevin’s Kitchen, Glendalough, Co. Wicklow. Photo by Michael Richardson.
Bonamargy meaning ‘Foot of the Margy’ is a Franciscan foundation established in 1485, in Ballycastle, Co. Antrim. Photo by Matt Woodhouse.
Celtic Cross at Clonmacnoise, Co. Offaly. Photo by Brian Engler
The Round Tower at Glendalough, Co. Wicklow. Photo by Cian Corrigan.
Hore abbey, Cashel, Co. Tipperary. Photo by Esteban Garcia Alonso.
Old church ruin, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway. Photo by John Doheny.
Ascent to Skellig Michael, Co. Kerry. Photo by Sharon Boland.
Askeaton Friary, Co. Limerick. Photo by Joseph Lennon.
Clomtanagh church ruin at sunset, near Freshford, Co. Kilkenny. Photo by John Doheny.
Cashel Rock Sentry. Photo by Colleen Marie Design.
‘Black Nun’. The grave of Julia McQuillan, who lived and was murdered at Bonamargy in 1600, she is said to still haunt the Friary, and this grave is said to be the location of her remains. Photo by Matt Woodhouse.
Durrow High Cross. Photo by Emmet Keohan.
‘Viking grave’, The Burren, Co. Clare. Photo by Colleen Marie Design.
St. Brendan’s multi-period church and graveyard, Birr, Co. Offaly. Photo by Stephen Callaghan.
Temple Finghin from the Cathedral Clonmacnoise, Co. Offaly. Photo by Emmet Keohan.
Saint Kieran’s church and gun-tower at Seir Kieran Monastic site, Co. Offaly. Photo by Stephen Callaghan.
The Royal Palace at Phnom Penn Cambodia. Photo by Cian Corrigan.
The ruins of St Mary’s Church in Delvin, Co. Westmeath. Photo by Louise Neighbour.
Old church ruin, Avoca, Co. Wicklow. Photo by John Doheny.
This is an Ogham Stone that was reused as a lintel at the entrance to Uaimh na gCat or the Cave of the Cats, near the Rathcroaghan royal site in Co. Roscommon. The entrance and a short inner section of the cave is thought to have been reworked as a souterrain which leads into the cave proper. The Ogham lettering on the stone has been partially translated with the words “FRAECH” and “SON OF MEDB” being identified.Photo by Ciarán Davis.
Mungret is one of the last buildings left on the site of a 6th century monastery established by St. Nessan. We happened upon it in the autumn where the dramatic evening light illuminated it wonderfully. Photo by Louise Lynch.
Round tower Timahoe, Co. Laois. Photo by Ger Cullen.
Boyle Abbey, Co. Roscommon. Photo by Matt Peace.
Sacred Spaces and Liminal Places. This particular picture was taken atop the Hill of Slane, Co. Meath, through the window slots of the ruined college. Photo by Patrick Sattler.
Magnificent and ornate stonework carvings adorn this doorway at Cong Abbey, County Mayo. Photo Maureen Espelien.
Gallarus Oratory, Dingle, Co. Kerry. Photo by Sharon Boland.
‘The Lavabo (where the monks washed their hands before meals) at Mellifont Abbey, Co. Louth, the first Cistersian Abbey in Ireland, founded in 1142’. Photo by Joseph Smith.
Newtown Abbey, Trim, Co. Meath. Photo by Stephen Callaghan
Westport bridge, Co. Mayo. Photo by Jess Mason.