Pages

Pangúr Bán

Pangur ban

Pangúr Bán is probably the most famous surviving poem from Early Ireland[i]. Composed by an Irish monk sometime around the 9th century AD, the text compares the scholar’s work with the activities of a pet cat, Pangúr Bán. It is now preserved in the Reichnenau Primer at St. Paul’s Abbey in the Lavanttal, Austria. The version detailed below is Robin Flower‘s translation of the poem from Old Irish.

I and Pangúr Bán my cat,
‘Tis a like task we are at:
Hunting mice is his delight,
Hunting words I sit all night.

Better far than praise of men
‘Tis to sit with book and pen;
Pangúr bears me no ill-will,
He too plies his simple skill.

‘Tis a merry task to see
At our tasks how glad are we,
When at home we sit and find
Entertainment to our mind.

Oftentimes a mouse will stray
In the hero Pangúr’s way;
Oftentimes my keen thought set
Takes a meaning in its net.

‘Gainst the wall he sets his eye
Full and fierce and sharp and sly;
‘Gainst the wall of knowledge I
All my little wisdom try.

When a mouse darts from its den,
O how glad is Pangur then!
O what gladness do I prove
When I solve the doubts I love!

So in peace our task we ply,
Pangúr Bán, my cat, and I;
In our arts we find our bliss,
I have mine and he has his.

Practice every day has made
Pangúr perfect in his trade;
I get wisdom day and night
Turning darkness into light.

The original poem text in the Reichenau Primer

The original poem text in the Reichenau Primer

[i] The poem is written in Old Irish and was probably composed by an Irish monk who was studying at a continental  European monastery.

Image Source

, , ,

21 Responses to Pangúr Bán

1. Magella MacNeice October 4, 2013 at 11:48 am #

How is it that a poem that was originally written in old Irish just happens to rhyme perfectly in every couplet when translated to modern English? Seems very unlikely, so some “poetic licence” must have been used. Is there a direct (more accurate) translation available anywhere?

• Colm October 4, 2013 at 12:48 pm #

Hi Magella, here is the original text, it’s beyond my capabilities to translate it so I couldn’t tell you what the most accurate version is

Messe [ocus] Pangur bán,
      cechtar nathar fria saindán;
      bíth a menma-sam fri seilgg,
      mu menma céin im saincheirdd
      Caraim-se fós, ferr cach clú,
      oc mu lebrán léir ingnu;
      ní foirmtech frimm Pangur bán,
      caraid cesin a maccdán.
      Ó ru-biam ­ scél cén scis ­
      innar tegdias ar n-oéndis,
      táithiunn ­ dichríchide clius ­
      ní fris ‘tarddam ar n-áthius.
      Gnáth-huaraib ar greassaib gal
      glenaid luch ina lín-sam;
      os me, du-fuit im lín chéin
      dliged ndoraid cu n-dronchéill.
      Fúachaid-sem fri freaga fál
      a rosc a nglése comlán;
      fúachimm chéin fri fégi fis
      mu rosc réil, cesu imdis.
      Fáelid-sem cu n-déne dul,
      hi nglen luch ina gérchrub;
      hi-tucu cheist n-doraid n-dil,
      os mé chene am fáelid.
      Cia beimini amin nach ré
      ní derban cách a chéle;
      mait le cechtar nár a dán
      subaigthiud a óenurán.
      Hé fesin as choimsid dáu
      in muid du-n-gní cach óenláu;
      do thabairt doraid du glé
      for mumud céin am messe.

• Breandán February 14, 2015 at 3:28 pm #

Here is a more literal translation:
        I and white Pangur,
        each of us two (keeps) at his specialty:
        his mind is set on hunting,
        my mind on my special subject.

I love (it is better than all fame)
        to be quiet beside my book, with persistent inquiry.
        Not envious of my White Pangur;
        _he_ loves his childish art.

When we two are (tale without boredom)
        alone in our house,
        we have something to which we may apply our skill,
        an endless sport.

It is customary at times for a mouse to stick in his net,
        as a result of warlike struggles (feats of valor).
        For my part, into _my_ net falls
        some difficult crux of hard meaning.

He directs his bright perfect eye
        against an enclosing wall.
        Though my (once) clear eye is very weak
        I direct it against acuteness of knowledge.

He is joyful with swift movement
        when a mouse sticks in his sharp claw.
        I too am joyful
        when I understand a dearly loved difficult question.

Though we are always like this,
        neither of us bothers the other:
        each of us likes his craft,
        rejoicing alone each in his.

He it is who is master for himself
        of the work which he does every day.
        I can perform my own task,
        directed toward understanding clearly that which is difficult.

• Paula May 18, 2015 at 10:01 pm #

Thank you Breandán – this is vey enlightening! It is inspiring for people who work diligently on their specialisation and the quiet joy and satisfaction that comes with persistance and dedication.

It is an incredble piece of literature that appears so simple, yet conveys the humanity and intelligence of the person who wrote it and as I understand, that each has his own purpose, neither one is better than the other. It is so amusing to think that the poet compared his work and his art with his pet cat! I love where he says “neither if us bothers the other.” It’s just wonderful.

2. Christi Caughey January 9, 2014 at 10:35 pm #

So is Pangur Ban a name or does it mean cat in old Irish? Thanks.

• Colm January 10, 2014 at 11:05 am #

Hi Christie, Bán means white in Irish, while Pangur is the pet’s name. The Irish for cat is actually cat. Hope this helps, Colm

• Christi Caughey January 10, 2014 at 8:53 pm #

Thanks! :-)

• Christi Caughey January 12, 2014 at 9:11 pm #

Colm,
        Wondering what a silver gray and white striped cat might be called in Irish…I want a special name for my cute new kitty.

• mary fitzsimons August 10, 2014 at 9:34 pm #

pangur ban means white fuller, fuller as in feltmaker.probably referring to how cats knead soft things which looks similar to how people used to knead wool or animal hair to make felt.

• Sylv Taylor February 14, 2015 at 1:22 pm #

No, it refers to the color, as in new wool when it’s washed/beaten clean. IE, the cat is bright white.

3. Ken March 6, 2014 at 12:19 am #

Is the accompanying illustration ancient Irish or simply celtic-looking?

• Colm March 14, 2014 at 2:13 pm #

Sorry Ken, I missed your comment. It’s a modern image loosely based on the cat from the Book of Kells.

4. Chantal Nair April 12, 2014 at 6:13 pm #

Was the design made of words on he lower half of the right page part of the poem? Or is it another poem? Or is it mainly a decoration?

• martin maguire August 13, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

If you want to learn more about Pangur Bán then you could read Celia Keenan, ‘The hunt for Pangur Bán’ in Nora Maguire & Beth Rodgers (eds) Children’s Literature on the Move: Nations, Translations, Migrations (Four Courts, 2013).

• Colm August 13, 2014 at 10:40 pm #

Thanks Martin

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pangúr Bán | sceptic | Scoop.it - October 4, 2013

[…] Pangúr Bán is probably the most famous surviving poem from Early Ireland[i]. Composed by an Irish monk sometime around the 9th century AD, the text compares the scholar’s work with the activities of a pet cat, Pangúr Bán.  […]

2. Dear Learning Hub… | cantkillatoon - October 22, 2013

[…] Pangur Ban […]

3. Swipe Festival: Digital Storytelling/Blogging | learninghubblog - December 16, 2013

[…] Pangur Ban […]

4. The Loneliness of the Late Night Writer – 8th Century Style | Top of the Tent - May 21, 2014

[…] Irish Verse: An Anthology, Edited by Bob Blaisdell (Dover Publications, 2002) For further information about the poem, see the Irish Archaeology website. […]

5. Steve, Pangur Bán Cats have a way of seeping into the soul, Scribe, Graphic design | 2D Graphic Design - August 8, 2014

[…] Bán is probably the most famous surviving poem from Early Ireland[i]. Composed by an Irish monk sometime around the 9th century AD, the text compares the scholar’s […]

6. Pangur Bán | Abishag, Ira and Kezia - August 20, 2015

[…] pets, I thought you’d find it interesting. The entire poem is available at Irish Archaeology, http://irisharchaeology.ie/2013/10/pangur-ban/ , but here are the first two […]