thatched cottage

Today I spent a lovely morning in Kilmore Quay, Co. Wexford. This picturesque fishing village is famous for its thatched cottages, many of which date from the 19th century. These traditional buildings are mainly of mud-wall construction and are thatched with reeds (although originally wheaten or oaten straw would have been used). Simple vernacular structures, the cottages offer an increasingly rare insight into how many Irish villages looked in the late 19th century.

kilmore wexford

DSC_0163

kilmore

DSC_0195

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “Traditional thatched cottages, Kilmore Quay, Wexford” Subscribe

1. brannockev June 17, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

a thatcher writes…the majority of the shots show straw roofs ,oats, the ridge on the reed roofs are blockier as in the new reed roof…good photos

2. Jim Dempsey June 19, 2014 at 10:27 am #

Lovely series of images Colm. Kilmore Quay is wonderful. It portrays a sense of time and place more than any other village I know. Its white washed walls, thatched cottages and bright colours are stunning. But for me it’s the different sizes and layout of the houses that stands out the most.

3. Jimmy June 22, 2014 at 10:13 am #

House 1 Reed roof with flush wheaten straw ridge.
    House 2 reed roof with block reed ridge.
    House 3 Straw roof with straw bobbin ridge.
    House 4 reed roof with block reed ridge.
    House 5 wheaten straw roof with flush wrap over straw ridge
    House 6 Straw roof and straw bobbin ridge
    House 7 Straw roof and flush straw wrap over ridge
    House 8 2 x reed roofs and 1 newly finish block cut straw wrap over ridge
    House 9 reed roof with worn straw ridge
    House 10 worn straw thatch
    House 11 reed roof with worn straw ridge
    House 11 straw roof with new block cut straw ridge
    Photo 12 general shot
    Photo 13 boats without thatch!
    Great photos , jimmy the thatcher

4. Gillian Charnley June 23, 2014 at 5:43 pm #

I own the house in pictures 8 and 11.

I have contacted a local thatcher to tidy up the main part of the thatch and repair the ridge and I’m in a dilemma as to which ridge pattern to have! Can anyone give me any tips as to what would be the most traditional and most durable… a block cut or a flush finish?

Thanks

• Jimmy June 24, 2014 at 12:57 pm #

It’s far more complicated than flush or block. For example the simplest type of ridge is a butt up reed or combed straw ridge – theses can be flush or block in style. Quick to install and therefore should be much cheaper than other options. I would not allow a butt up ridge on my own cottage as from my experience as a thatcher they slip once the scallops are rotted thereby allowing the slow but constant ingress of water.
      The other options are 1. straw wrap over ridge or 2. A straw bobbin ridge. Rather than advise you I suggest that you talk to thatched house owners and ask them for advice on which ridge worked best for them.
      My own straw wrap over ridge is now 15 years done and overall in good nick.
      Re the style, flush ridge with simple rodding ie 3-4 horizontal rods would be possibly more traditional as so would a bobbinbtwist ridge be more tradional.
      Best of luck jimmy

5. Dee Moss March 8, 2015 at 2:52 pm #

Hi
    I have recently bought a thatched cottage in Ballinesker. The name is The Dunes and it is right on the beach.
    You can view it on http://www.shamrockcottages.co.uk/properties/wexford/curracloe-399/.
    I am keen to have the thatch replaces and wondered if anyone had advise as to good thatchers in the area .
    I am also keen to replicate the original ridge.
    Grateful for any advise
    Dee

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Casas de tejado vegetal en Wexford | Mujerárbol Nueva - June 22, 2014

[…] Traditional thatched cottages, Kilmore Quay, Wexford | Irish Archaeology. […]