Pages

Millions of Irish family records released on-line today

Important news for anyone interested in researching their Irish ancestors. From today millions of historic personal records will be available on-line, free of charge. The records of births, marriages and deaths are being released by the General Register Office on irishgenealogy.ie. The expanded database includes the Birth Records Indexes from 1864 to 1914, the Marriage Records Indexes from 1845 (1864 for Roman Catholic Marriages) to 1939 and the Death Records Indexes from 1864 to 1964.

The relevant website is Irish Genealogy  and the new records can be found under the ‘Civil Records‘ menu heading.

, ,

22 Responses to Millions of Irish family records released on-line today

1. Diarmuid O Sullivan September 8, 2016 at 3:51 pm #

O Sullivan

2. Oonagh September 8, 2016 at 4:25 pm #

Tried a 1913 birth date, all details correct, and returned absolutely NIL!

• Mike Kenneally September 8, 2016 at 5:09 pm #

Oonagh the spellings are only as good as the enumerator or clergy that initially recorded them. So you sometimes need to use a definite Christian name and narrow search to the civil districts that your ancestors may have lived in. Then search the results for your surname. This worked with Kenneally name for which I’ve found 7 or 8 spelling variations. Hope this helps.

• Michael Kenney September 8, 2016 at 9:34 pm #

Mike Kenneally, would one of the variations of your surname be Kenney? Yours Aye, Mike Kenney

• Julia September 9, 2016 at 12:38 pm #

My family is also Kenneally…coneally, kenealy, ect, ect, ect….Knocknagragra Ennistymon, Co Clare

3. John September 8, 2016 at 6:03 pm #

It seems to just cover Kerry and Dublin initially. I hope it expands, I need Donegal and Derry as well as Meath/Louth for my lot!

• Colm September 8, 2016 at 6:12 pm #

Hi John, that’s the church records, you will find all the new information under the Civil Records section (I’ve amended the blog post to make this clearer.

4. Alison September 8, 2016 at 6:46 pm #

Are these just the indexes or the actual record?

• Colm September 9, 2016 at 9:27 am #

A mix up both, you can search the indexes and then there is normally an image of the ordinal documented attached.

5. Colleen September 8, 2016 at 7:59 pm #

Every time I clicked on anything, I had to go through the rigamarole of “applying” to view the records under some civil act from 2004. Also, the website was very slow.

6. Michelle Covhrane Tusk September 8, 2016 at 8:27 pm #

Wish records went back earlier as my family was already in Canada by 1831 and earlier.

7. Elizabeth Ragout nee McEvoy September 8, 2016 at 9:38 pm #

My dad ,Micheal McEvoy,was born in Ballindine in Co. Mayo on 14 May 1898 his father was also Michael Mc Evoy and Mother Rose Fey Father listed as being a member of the R I C.as these are closed records how do we proceed.

8. Chris September 9, 2016 at 4:52 am #

Waiting to find something!!

9. Carrie stover September 9, 2016 at 8:07 am #

Wow I am here in Sligo doing my family tree, what great timing as I fly home Sunday

10. Chris J September 9, 2016 at 2:35 pm #

100% nothing is working! Everything I click on yields the “Page cannot be displayed” result 🙁

• Colm September 9, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

Looks like the site may have crashed 🙁 you’d think a government fund website would have enough bandwidth. Check back later, I’m sure they will resolve it.

• Elizabeth September 9, 2016 at 3:05 pm #

Yes, indeed, looks like it has completely crashed.

I was on early today and it was working perfectly, however this afternoon, not so. I hope they fix the issue soon.

11. martin king September 10, 2016 at 6:16 am #

Something, I just foound out…..My Da was born on November 6th……I was too!!!!!

12. amy September 18, 2016 at 3:41 am #

thanks heaps for that, as a descendent of an irish immigrant this is going to be very handy 🙂

13. Gerri Henneinke Habitz September 26, 2016 at 2:24 am #

This may be a ridiculous question but would the name “Mahoney” come from a particular part of Ireland, or is it much more common like the name “Smith” in the U.S.? I don’t know how far people moved from their birth places in those days, but I kinda thought it wouldn’t be far. I have a John Mahoney 1839-1932 that I cannot find because I have no idea where he came from in Ireland. He was my G Grandmother’s father, Lauretta Jane Mahoney 1860-1932. I trace my ancestors through my Mother’s Percy/Pierce family in England. I know I have Irish ancestors; half my Mother’s siblings had red hair and freckles……including me. My Grandfather used to tell me we had Irish Pirates in the family, a legend passed down……..but I think it probably went back to the Viking marauders, another part of the Percy family. I would appreciate any suggestions on Mahoney. Thanks.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. All true Gael, diluted Gaels, Mongrel breeds and assorted interested parties ;) - September 8, 2016

[…] Millions of Irish family records released on-line today | Irish Archaeology Here, from 17:30 today. Great news for anyone interested in such things. Welcome to Irish Genealogy – Irish Genealogy Sign in or Register Now to reply […]

2. New York History Around The Web This Week | The New York History Blog - September 9, 2016

[…] Millions of Irish Family Records Released Online […]